Boekverslag: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Writer: J.K. Rowling
Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Bloomsbury Publishing Plc., London, 2003, first print)
The book is dedicated to: Neil, Jessica and David (who make my world magical.)
Design: The print shows a phoenix that rises from the fire, just like Dumbledore?s phoenix does. The back of the book includes a piece of text from the book, ?Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses. ?It?s time? he said, ?for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down I am going to tell you everything.? ? This piece of text isn?t on the Dutch translation of the book and that?s really pitty.
- Harry Potter: ?The boy who survived,? when Harry was one year old, his parent were killed by Lord Voldemort, an evil and powerful wizard. He?s been raised by his uncle and aunt, in Little Whinging, who hate him. He?s going to school at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends are Ron Weasly, Hermione Granger and Hagrid, a half giant. His godfather is Sirius Black, who was in prison, for 12 years, for a murder he hasn?t done. He came in Harry?s live in his third school year at Hogwarts. Harry fought a lot of times against Lord Voldemort and survived every time.
- Ron Weasly: His best friends are Hermione and Harry, he lives with his parents and his 3 brothers and 1 sister in a place near at London. His two other brothers left the house.
- Hermione Granger: Her best friends are Ron and Harry. She has a crush on Viktor Kruml, an international quidditch player who she met last year. Her parents are muggles (non-wizards). She is the smartest witch of her year.
- Albus Dumbledore: Leader of the Order of the Phoenix and head-master at Hogwarts, he?s the only one Voldemort is afraid of.
- Voldemort (also known as You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named): An evil wizard, who was only after power and when he ruled a lot of people were killed, he died
(or something) when he tried to kill Harry, and a lot of people are too afraid to say his name. In Harry?s fourth year he returned, Harry saw this, the minister of Magic didn?t believe him but Dumbledore did. And now Voldemort wants his power back.
It?s an adventure novel.
Magic, everything is in the sign of magic and power. The Order of the Phoenix is the group of people who wants to resist against Voldemort under Dumbledore?s leadership.
The story starts from the beginning; Harry is lying in a flowerbed trying to listen to the news on the television in the living room of his uncle and aunt. It ends with Harry back on the station in London having another summer break at his uncle and aunts?.
One year, most of the time at school or in London.
Little Whinging, Hogwarts and Number twelve, Grimmauld Place London (Order of the Phoenix headquarter).
It?s a story told by the writer. In this case J.K. Rowling.
It?s an interesting style Rowling uses. It?s easy to read and it stays fun. She describes everything, from the Great hall till a fake tree in the stairs, the wonderful thing about this is that it isn?t going to be long-winded. Everything is seen from Harry?s eyes and that?s very funny, especially when he?s going on a date and everything goes wrong.
Harry Potter is an extraordinary boy; he survived a curse no one ever survived. At the beginning of his fifteenth living year he?s very lonely, his friends don?t write and when they do, they don?t tell him anything about he what he want to know, about Voldemort. After being attacked through dementors (creatures who suck the happiness out of somebody) he?s being picked up by other wizards to go to his friends and godfather. On the first of September he goes back to Hogwarts. After a lot of problems he starts a secret defence against the arts group. There are a lot of problems Harry has to deal with, like dates and teachers and of course loosing the opportunity to play quidditch. On the end of the year Harry has to face Voldemort again and loses someone he loves.
I don?t tell anything more because I think you need to read it yourself. And if you do, then start with the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone. If you don?t like that one, then you probably also don?t like the rest of the books.
I love this book, it?s so detailed. She tells the story so lovely, I can she it right in front of me. I think the English is better as the Dutch translation. The abbreviations fit better in English. A few examples:
SPEW (in Dutch SHIT): Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. The organisation Hermione started to refine the way house elves are treated. (The elves don?t seem very happy with the SPEW.)
OWL (in Dutch SLIJMBAL): Ordinary Wizarding Levels.
A grade students can get after their fifth year.
NEWT (in Dutch PUIST): Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests. A grade students can get after their seventh year.
Rowling really makes the story get to you. When Harry?s forbidden to play quidditch you feel sad for him and when he finally has a date with a girl he likes, you feel happy. Not only the abbreviations fit better, also the charms and other strange words and names do. I have all the books, in Dutch, but I read this book because I didn?t want to wait for the Dutch translation, I think I?ll do it again, if it?s in our library, with book six.
Joanne Rowling bekend geworden door haar boeken over leerling-tovenaar Harry Potter. Deze boeken schrijft ze onder de naam J. K. Rowling, waarin de K staat voor de naam van haar grootmoeder Kathleen. In werkelijkheid heeft Rowling echter geen tweede naam.Rowling studeerde Frans en Klassieke Cultuur aan de universiteit van Exeter, waar ze in 1986 afstudeerde. Vervolgens had ze diverse kantoorbanen. In 1990 vertrok ze naar Portugal om Engels te onderwijzen. In Portugal ontmoette ze de TV-journalist Jorgue Arantes met wie ze trouwde. In 1993 werd haar eerste dochter Jessica geboren. Het huwelijk strandde en Rowling en haar dochter gingen in Edinburgh (Schotland) wonen. Ze schreef daar twee boeken voor volwassenen, die ze echter niet goed genoeg vond om naar een uitgever te sturen. In 1990 kwam ze tijdens een treinreis op een verhaal over een jonge tovenaar. Ze werkte de verhaallijnen uit tot een plot voor een zevendelige boekserie. Nadat het eerste deel door enkele uitgevers was afgewezen, werd het uiteindelijk in 1997 uitgegeven door uitgeverij Bloomsbury. Haar agent Christopher Little verkocht het boek later aan de Amerikaanse uitgeverij Scholastic, hetgeen Rowling ongeveer €100.000 opleverde.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Joanne Rowling
- Meer boeken van: Joanne Rowling