Boekverslag: Brokeback Mountain
13-10-1997 in America
1998 in The Netherlands
2. The story is about Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar. Jack and Ennis ate raised in Texas. Because of the lack of money, they signed in for a job in the summer of 1963. They became friends and even more then that.
Ennis married Alma Beers and got 2 children. Jack got a boy, from is wife Laureen. After 4 summers, they see each other again for the second tome. Their relationship is growing stronger. Jack wants to love a normal love. The relationship Alma and Ennis didn?t work well. They had some minor fights. Ennis and Jack, still not having a lot of money, became herder. Their relationship causes problems with their wives and some day, Alma divorced Ennis. Then, Ennis and Jack didn?t see each other for a long tome.
At one day, Ennis received a postcard. It said Jack died in an accident. He goes to get the very last memories of Brokeback Mountain.
3. The story is told in a chronological order, so wit no flashbacks. There is no narrator in the story, the author (Annie Proulx) is the narrator.
4. This moment is when Ennis is visiting Jack?s house in order to find memories.
?At the north end of the closet a tiny jog in the wall made a slight hiding place and here, stiff with long suspension from a nail, hung a shirt. He lifted it off the nail. Jack?s old shirt from Brokeback days. (?) The shirt seemed heavy until he saw there was another shirt inside, the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack?s sleeves. It was his own plaid shirt, lost, he?d thought, long ago in some damn laundry, his dirty shirt, the pocket ripped, buttons missing, stolen by Jack and hidden here inside Jack?s own shirt, the pair like two skins, one inside the other, two in one.?
I choose this moment because of the really great double meaning. The shirt, who is his own skin, inside Jack?s skin.
5. The author chooses this title because the main event is right there, on Brokeback Mountain.
Events (What they did) I liked this because it gave a really nice idea of what they are doing
Thoughts Proulx really deeply explains the thoughts of the characters
Longwinded The author tells too much about almost nothing
a. Jack is a typical countryboy who lives in Texas. He wants to live a normal, decent live. Jack dies in the story as a loveable man.
b. Ennis is the one who gets after Jack. He tries to make their lives something. He seeks for good memories when Jack died and that is typical for him.
c. Alma is Jack?s wife. She doesn?t agree with Jack that he has a relation with Ennis. She thinks she has the same rights.
8. I wouldn?t recommend the book, because I don?t like the story. Although Proulx is a good writer, so it?s not very bad.
9. It didn?t really arouse feelings, but I was optimistic on how Proulx surprises again and again.
f. Proulx convinces you by telling her story in a way that makes it like it have really happened. It looks so real, like she has seen it with her own eyes and doesn?t invent it. Her message of how people live together is made clear. She gives her opinion. Concluding this, you can say she is a good writer. A writer always tries to convince you of something, and she did.
Haar tweede roman, Scheepsberichten, won de Pulitzer-prijs for Fiction en de National Book Award voor fictie in 1994. Haar korte verhaal "Twee Cowboys" (Brokeback Mountain) werd in aanpaste vorm verfilmd in 2005. Verder won ze PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction voor haar eerste roman, Ansichten.
- Brokeback Mountain
- Edna Annie Proulx
- Meer boeken van:Edna Annie Proulx